First Presbyterian Early Childhood Education Center adheres to a play-based, developmentally appropriate curriculum for our students. We believe the first five years of a child’s life are crucial to early learning and brain development. We pride ourselves on providing a hands-on learning environment with an emphasis on oral language and vocabulary development, pre-reading literacy skills, fine and gross motor skills, social skills, math, and science. Our purpose is to partner with families to develop and foster within each child's heart a lifelong love of learning.
We serve children ages six months of age (by September 1st) up to four-years old. Our class days are held on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9:00 am to 2:00 pm. Our school year begins in September and ends the middle of May.
For the 2021-2022 school year, we will have fourteen classes. The age range and student teacher ratio is as follows:
NURSERY Wing (Ages 6 months to 24 months)
- Six to Nine Months: One class of eight students and two teachers
- Ten to Twelve Months: One class of eight students and two teachers
- Thirteen to Fifteen Months: One class of ten students and two teachers
- Sixteen to Eighteen Months: One class of ten students and two teachers
- Nineteen to Twenty Months: One class of twelve students and two teachers
- Twenty-one to Twenty-four Months: One class of twelve students and two teachers
(Age ranges in the nursery area can vary depending on the age range of our registered students.)
ECEC Wing (Ages 2 years and older)
- Two Year Old Classes: Four classes of twelve students and two teachers
- Three Year Old Classes: Two classes of twelve students and two teachers
- Four Year Old Classes: One class of fourteen students and two teachers
Our curriculum is focused on the standards set forth by the National Association for the Education of Young Children and the Little Texans Big Futures Early Learning Guide for children ages 0-3 years old and the Texas Prekindergarten Guidelines for 4-year-old children.
We incorporate Learning Without Tears (“LWT”) curriculum for ages 3 and up. The foundational skills of the “LWT” curriculum adheres to meeting the highest standards of building strong and successful writers and communicators.
Our Think Orange Chapel Curriculum helps our students learn and engage in stories from the Bible. Monthly Chapel lessons are reinforced throughout the classrooms guiding the children to learn about God’s love for each of them.
Students ages 3 and up attend weekly STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) class. Students participate in activities from making apple volcanoes to creating bridges out of various materials.
All students in the ECEC program participate in Music and Movement class. In class students develop and practice gross motor skills, following directions and teamwork while singing and dancing to nursery rhymes, Christian and educational music.
We believe play is the hard work of a child and adhere to providing them with meaningful developmentally-appropriate learning experiences. The staff at First Presbyterian Early Childhood Education Center is committed to our calling and proud to offer these learning practices in a loving and caring Christian environment.