The Benevolence Ministry is part of the outreach ministry of First Presbyterian Church and exists to help individuals in our community who are experiencing financial hardship and difficulty. Meredith McCord is our benevolence counselor.
More than helping you pay a bill, we hope our encounter in your time of crisis gives you hope and reassures you that you are not alone. God sees you and knows your name and exactly what you need. He is with you. To us, helping meet physical needs is an extension of our desire to help meet your emotional and spiritual needs as well, and we hope that we will have an opportunity to pray with you and talk about the deeper matters weighing on your heart.
“Don't be afraid, for I am with you.
Don't be discouraged, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you.
I will hold you up with my victorious right hand. “
Isaiah 41:10, NLT
Due to the fact that FPC's offices are currently closed to the public, we are not seeing walk-ins at this time. Meredith is still accepting calls and making appointments, seeing applicants while abiding by social distancing guidelines. Due to the local economic situation, we are currently primarily focused on helping provide assistance for rent/mortgage and utilities. We are also able to help provide food assistance in some situations, even though our pantry is normally for Midland High families. Please read below for information about how to apply, as those steps remain the same.
- Meredith works by appointment only.
- You must call for an appointment. 432-684-8440
- Call Tuesday or Friday between the hours of 8:30 to 9:30 am.
- Meredith will only listen to messages left during this time.
- Leave message with the following information:
- Phone number where you can be reached.
- Last 4 digits of social security number.
- The type of assistance you are requesting and the exact amount.
- The reason why you are needing assistance at this particular time.
- Meredith will call later that day to schedule an appointment with those individuals with whom she can meet. Please stay by your phone.
- For clients without phone access, please check with the front desk for other options. Walk-ins will be seen on Thursday only (as time permits).
- Benevolence clients are welcome to have an agency reference sheet, where they can find other places in town that provide assistance. The front desk can provide this.
Types of Assistance Available:
- Rent or Mortgage
- Phone Card (Straight Talk wireless only.)
- Bus Pass
- Gasoline and other phone assistance requires that Meredith leave the building. That is seldom possible.
- FPC has a food pantry for MHS students and their families. The front desk can provide a list of other area pantries for non-MHS families.
- FPC does not provide clothing assistance. The Baptist Crisis Center (806 S. Baird) provides that.